Monday, May 28, 2007

whoever it was....


I don't know if you have ever been in that place where there are so many words vying for pole position that in the end no words will come at all... that's how I have been for a week now

these words of Rumi help my troubled soul this night...it's all i have

'All day I think about it, then at night I say it.
Where did I come from, and what am I supposed to be doing?
I have no idea.
My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that,
and I intend to end up there.

This drunkenness began in some other tavern.
When I get back around to that place,
I'll be completely sober. Meanwhile,
I'm like a bird from another continent, sitting in this aviary.
The day is coming when I fly off,
but who is it now in my ear who hears my voice?
Who says words with my mouth?

Who looks out with my eyes? What is the soul?
I cannot stop asking.
If I could taste one sip of an answer,
I could break out of this prison for drunks.
I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.
Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

This poetry. I never know what I'm going to say.
I don't plan it.
When I'm outside the saying of it,
I get very quiet and rarely speak at all'.
(Rumi)


oh, and one more thing. I agree with Franklin, Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

....through this world I stumble....sometimes sleep won't set us free....

11 comments:

Anna said...

I love your words. I am not a writer on any level Paul and I am always encouraged by how you share and how thoughts seemingly come through your heart and mind and find a place here for us to read them.

It is a gift however the process takes place.

:) Glad you are back and I love that image by the way!

Anna said...

Great video of World on Fire......

awareness said...

yes, I have been there believe it or not.......when the words crowd each other out....and none seem fitting.

where sleep evades......

where disconnect happens with a trouble soul......

i have no magic formula to offer. Wish i did Paul....I would send it your way.

what i'm thinking is that stumbling happens when new footing is being practised.

maybe?

the words will eventually spill out....this I know....

Nikita said...

Keep stumbling along, if there's one thing 18 years has taught me it's that the stumbling is beautiful, and the people met magical. Hang in there.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

hey anna
thank you, there have been many a time i have been close to giving up on the blog but then when i do someone says something that stops me because i realise that in some way this little cyber community is all about those stumbling forwards...

ps, she is a remarkable artist

dana
i guess we recognise the wounded and brokenness within each other - am glad there is no magic formula - the restless heart keeps me moving forward...thank you

niki
thank you - i agree there is something beautiful in being imperfect - my friend pip is a big believer in that

Julie said...

Hey we all need each other.... hope you do stick around.

Chardonnay for me with the Live Launch tonight!!!!

awareness said...

restless hearts do that...

I also believe we see the potential and the gifts too..... :)

keep writing, paul.....the words will take you on a ride.

awareness said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Penwright said...

Hi Paul

I've lost your email address! Please send me an email so that I have it again!

Love from Miss A

paris parfait said...

Ah, the wise words of Rumi. Yes, we've all had times when there's so much to say and yet nothing suits. But the words will flow again and surprise you - this I know for sure!

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

julie
hope the chardonnay was perfect - a woman after Yac's own heart!

thanks dana - restless hearts....hmmmm. Most of my writing at the moment is way too personal to put out here...i will keep on putting fingers to keyboards though

susan
email on its way

tara
i know you are right, just doesn't feel like that now - well, what i mean by that is that there are plenty of words but when i put them all together they don't really say anything....does that make sense?

ps, where would we be without Rumi?