Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Goodness...oh, and a new job



mercy is the road we walk.......

'The gospel no longer benefits the poor essentially. In fact, Christianity has now even become a downright injustice to those who suffer (although we are not always conscious of this, and certainly unwilling to admit to it). Today the gospel is preached to the rich, the powerful, who have discovered it to be advantageous. We are right back again to the very state original christianity wanted to oppose! The rich and powerful not only get to keep everything, but their success becomes the mark of their piety, the sign of their relationship to God. And this promts the old atrocity again - namely, the idea that the unfortunate, the poor are to blame for their condition; that it is because they are not pious enough, are not true christians, that they are poor, whereas the rich have not only pleasure but piety as well. This is supposed to be Christianity. compare it with the New Testament, and you will see that it is as far from that as possible.'
(Kierkegaard)

He penned these words quite some time ago....not much has changed really and it seems we don't learn much at all.

As I have always thought, the real fragrance of God is found in Gethsemene and Calvary....

...and maybe for the poor the gospel is good news because it is a sign of God's nearness...ironically when Jesus wishes were not met, and his own dad turned away....

Annie Dillard said that there is no shortage of good days. It is good lives that are hard to come by. I think she may be right.

Talking of which, I forgot to mention - got a new job last week - I now work for Government (I hung up my chain saws). Ironic that it is I cannot say anymore than that as I've signed the secrecy act. Suffice to say, it's my journey into politics - the new chapter begins. 'Fix it from the inside; that's what the grown ups do'. Isn't that what President Santos said in the final episode of the West Wing?

My attempt at a good life, maybe this is my path....

10 comments:

Malcolm Chamberlain said...

Paul

congrats on the new job!

"fix it from the inside"... is this why I've just accepted a new job (to begin in January) which takes me (at least, for half of my time) back into parish church ministry?!!

Cheers
Malcolm

Unknown said...

Best of luck in your journey into a new job. I hope it is going well.
Be Well.

Suzanna said...

the attempt is your part and the evaluation comes from loving friends.

It takes God to tell us that we're on the right road in spite of poverty. Who else could make such a ridiculous claim? Blessed are the poor in spirit? It takes the one who remains a mystery (all God and all man? really?) to tell us such incredible things like "unless a seed dies..."
You'll be a blessing to your new co-workers. Happy gleaning!

Micah Hoover said...

I liked the Annie Dillard quote.

Soren ... always catching me off gaard. I thought it was someone preaching about finding a political solution, but he always writes to a single individual ...

awareness said...

You know, I wasn't too fond of the last James Bond. I'm pleased they have replaced him with a tree doctor mystic writer.

Sworn to secrecy? :)

As a tight lipped civil servant myself aka Ms. Moneypenny.... I will withhold all my comments about working for the govt. for fear of divulging any high risk secrets.

I wish you well......

ps. I'm pleased to know you are now inside because believe me there's a lot of fixin' to do.

Bar L. said...

Hey Paul, Congrats! Do you like the new job so far? How interesting!!


Love Annie Dillard.


Take care and keep us informed cryptically of your new career :)

The Father said...

Ah your running the MI5 office on Guernsey arent you .... always thought you were a bit spooky ....Mercy !

mister tumnus said...

hey, we're all inside, whether we like it or not. might as well get paid for the fixing attempt! seriously though, congratulations, and i am very glad to have another CS'n friend on the inside of the machine.

Kate's Typewriter said...

ah, that quote was brilliant. thank you so much. GGM--- beyond wonderful. congratulations on the new job-- thats very impressive and i'm sure you will have many interesting stories to tell...

Anna said...

Have a wonderful journey at this new job. I have been feeling a bit grown up myself lately......

I have missed being here and hope to return in full force soon friend.

Take care way over there!

~Anna