Saturday, January 14, 2006

Swimming with God

Am reading a book by Donald Miller Called Blue Like Jazz at the moment. A really earthy and intoxicating piece of work which stirs the soul and leaves a fragrance of something beautiful that is both within us and beyond us.
He says: I never liked jazz music because jazz music doesn't resolve. But sometimes you have to watch somebody love something before you can love it yourself...I used to not like God because God didn't resolve. But that was before any of this happened

The opening paragraph is the most beautiful I have ever read:
I once listened to an Indian on television say that God was in the wind and the water, and I wondered at how beautiful that was because it meant you could swim in Him or have Him brush your face in a breeze. I am early in my story, but I believe I will stretch out into eternity, and in heaven I will reflect on these days, these days when it seemed God was down a dirt road, walking toward me. Years ago He was a swinging speck in the distance; now He is close enough I can hear His singing. Soon I will see the lines on His face.

Oh to be able to write like that and somehow express the inexpressible...

No comments: