Monday, July 31, 2006

Yearning


'He is much fish still and I saw that the hook was in the corner of his mouth and he has kept his mouth tight shut. The punishment of the hook is nothing. The punishment of the hunger, and that he is against something that he does not comprehend, is everything.'
ERNEST HEMINGWAY, The Old Man and the Sea

Our yearning of that which we cannot comprehend, namely the mystery of God, can seem distant from our daily lives, because God's presence is, most of the time, elusive. I suppose it creates a tension between our own doubts and fears and the promises God makes. The maze of human experience if you like.

2 comments:

urbanmonk said...

Tension indeed. Some days I feel as if I will spontaenously combust from it...

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

my dear monk friend i agree....yet i have a nagging feeling that the tension is the proof we are walking the roead less travelled...bummer eh?