Sunday, March 19, 2006

National Treasures pt1


Said goodbye to half of the 'because we can' tour today...Mr Henderson has departed. Stewart is a wonderful bloke who embodies dignity and compassion more than most. He's both mad and full of grace, a cross between Lily Savage and Kenneth Williams but with the heart of Mother Theresa. His soul is the most gentle i know...
The poetry he crafts is so so moving...here's the two of us at Greenbelt last summer...and a gem from the lovely Mr Henderson.

I'd rather not...

I've got a bad knee
and I may fall over
and make it badder.

If I could just sit at the back
and read a book or draw.
I'd be so quiet
you wouldn't know I was there.
...Well obviously if you looked up I would be there,
but if you didn't, look up that is,
you wouldn't know I was...there.

I'd rather not go into the playground, Mrs thomas.
No, I don't think I'm trying to tell you something
but it looks like rain
and it will be such a bother
for you to send me out there
only to have to bring me back in again.
It hardly seems worth it.
So if I sit over by the radiator
and start drying off now
we'll be ahead of ourselves, won't we?
That would be quite good, wouldn't it?

I'd rather not go into the playground,
Mrs Thomas
No, nothing's frightening me much...
...My father said you've got to stand up for yourself,
so that's quite good isn't it, Mrs Thomas?

You're going to the staff room to some marking...
...can I come with you, please?

I'd rather not go into the playground, Mrs Thomas.
Please don't make me go into the playground,
Mrs Thomas

(I'd rather not... by Stewart Henderson from his book 'Who left Grandad at the Chip Shop' published by Lion)

6 comments:

Rainbow dreams said...

It was a great evening - well worth seeing - thanks for the recommendation :-)

The Meaning Weakened by the Lies said...

You look like Mr Tumnus in that picture.

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

who?

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

ha bloody ha...a comedian too

The Harbour of Ourselves said...

was being ironic, my point being, if you do a google search and look at the images of mr tumnus it ain't too flattering...

The Meaning Weakened by the Lies said...

Ok so perhaps you might not have quite so hairy legs (I dont know...maybe u do) but at least the connection was there..Narnia...C.S Lewis. Don't take everything at face value...he he even my wit astounds me.