Thursday, February 16, 2006

Common Grounds

Am sat outside the City Church, Belfast at the wonderful cafe 'Common Ground' and miraculously I have picked up someone's wi-fi signal - perhaps their is a God!

After 2 of the worst flights I can remember I am here, have had lunch in the Dr's new house and have just had coffee with Level 5 Cary. We talked about Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Tom Waits and Frederick Beuchner, now there's a trinity, not quite THE trinity but not a bad alternate. She also wants me to explain 'men' - may as well try middle east peace while I'm at it!

Anyway, as we were talking about Mr Marquez I remembered a couple of quotes from his latest and beautiful book 'Memories of My Melancholy Whores'. Enjoy and drink deep....

"When the storm had passed I still had the feeling I was not alone in the house. My only explanation is that just as real events are forgotten, some that never were can be in our memories as if they had happened."

"In the end, it is impossible not to become what others believe you are."

Simply breathtaking, when I first read these words I had to stop - I was paralysed by them - and I don't think I want to try and explain why, it would be a disservice to the great man who is without question for me the finest writer that perhaps has ever lived (and I am fully aware how strong a statement that is - still, this is my blog and I'll say what I want)

ps, thanks to whoever on this street has left their wi-fi on and allowed me a lovely moment of warmth in the cold of Belfast.

No comments: